Breakfast – the most important meal of the day. Not only does it replenish you from a night without food, it also provides you with the energy and nutrients that you need start your day right. Studies show that breakfast is important in maintaining a healthy body weight, especially if you’re exercising.
Here at Big 5, with our early morning starts, we know first-hand how important it is to get a good head start on the day. So, we’ve compiled some of our favourite healthy breakfast recipes to give you some good ideas, next time you’re stuck in the kitchen.
Healthy, Hearty Omelet
It’s hard to have an omelet without the guilt. However, when you have time in the morning, a good hot breakfast can set the tone for a productive day. This recipe combines a home-style favourite with some healthy ingredients, allowing you to indulge without all the guilt. This hearty meal will keep you fuelled for the day ahead, helping you resist unhealthy snacks along the way!
- 2 x large eggs
- 1 x tbsp chopped flat-leaf parsley or chives, or both
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ¼ x cup grated low-fat cheese
- 1 x tsp canola oil
- Ham or bacon
- Smoked salmon
- Any other favourite vegetables
- In a large bowl, whisk your eggs, egg whites, parsley, chives salt and pepper.
- Using a non-stick pan, heat oil over medium flame. Add the canola oil and any of the ‘optional extras’ that need to be cooked (like the onions, bacon, capsicum, tomatoes, and so on) and cook until ready. This usually takes around two to three minutes.
- Pour in the egg mixture over the top of your ‘optional extras’. The mixture will set fairly quickly around the edges. Tilt the pan to make sure that any uncooked egg is cooked. Continue to cook until surface of the omelet is no longer liquid.
- Once almost done, top with cheese and then fold egg in half and transfer carefully to a plate.
Protein Packed Breakfast Smoothie
In amongst the morning rush, you may not have time to sit and eat a hot breakfast (let alone prepare one!). Why not opt for a protein packed smoothie—the perfect on-the-go meal—to keep you fuelled throughout the day. With only five ingredients, this smoothie is gluten-free and filled with a whole lot of goodness!
- ¾ x cup blueberries
- ¾ x cup blackberries
- 1 x banana
- 150 x gms plain Greek yogurt
- 1 x cup soy milk
- Your protein powder of choice
- Place all ingredients in a blender.
- Blend for approximately 30 seconds. Check. Blend for another 30 seconds if required.
- Serve immediately.